Monday, January 26, 2015

In which I create a stockdog rubric

The CVASC trial opened today and I got a call from Roland encouraging me to enter (love him). I know I said I was ready to trial again, but I think only if I am doing it for the experience rather than hoping to qualify.

But do you know how much it costs to trial for a weekend? A BOAT LOAD. And I am not with a lot of free cash right now (hey, my truck broke down last week . . .  wee!) for such things. Also, honestly? There’s a lot of other things I’d rather be doing on a weekend than trialing. That’s always been the case. I used to LOVE conformation showing, but I don’t think I’ve ever LOVED trialing, no matter what venue. I think being raised in dogs, for this long, whatever it was that was magical when I was younger is gone for me. That’s okay. Different strokes for different folks.

Speaking of that, all of this questioning of the “status quo” as it were that I’ve been doing has led me down a new train of thought to explore, and one of the things I did was open up my copy of The Traveling Herding Teacher (Bob Vest’s book) and read it for more than just a cursory overview today. Just what IS so different about his thoughts and what I’ve been taught?

10011511_10101732343022555_8883570245296429859_nNot a lot that I can see, aside from being more reliant on a line and on tying sheep to create scenarios. It seems like the order he trains in is a lot different than what I know. In the KW system, you work on the stop, sure, but mostly you let the dog work it out themselves while teaching an out, then the fetch, then flanks, then drive. If the dog doesn’t work it out him/herself, you start handling more. In his system, it’s broken down a lot more, and a lot more obedience and scenarios first before more complex things like fetch and drive. It reminds me a lot of the Woods’ style – which, like I said, seemed a lot to be based in KW’s methods but more expectation of dog obedience first and use of lines.

And, interestingly, using the Woods’ style seems to have created some holes for me in terms of Rippa and her feeling in control. I was wondering about this but then if I’m 1/2 the training doing it KW style and then switching to the other, that’s got to create holes because one depends on a totally different foundation to start.

And if I’m right about this, I understand why it’s taken me so long to get where I’m at – I thought I was loyal to one method that I know works but in wanting to be open to other ideas and not stubborn in the face of people who clearly know what they’re doing, I might have delayed the first style’s process and created a few problems (none of which I feel are unfixable).

And so, the teacher in me used Bob Vest’s book to make a rubric:

A completely finished  stockdog will have all the components below:

  1. Call Off – The dog stops working and goes out of contact (“That’ll Do”)
  2. Flanks
    1. Come By
    2. Way to Me
    3. Dog can flank 360 degrees in both directions around handler
    4. Dog can run 1.5 x around with both directions around handler
    5. Dog can pass inside of handler (inside flank) on both sides
    6. Short flanks both directions
    7. Regular flanks both directions
    8. Wide flanks both directions
  3. 3. Walk up
    1. Dog can push stock past handler for short distances
    2. Dog can do this “around the clock” with handler in fixed position
    3. Dog can walk up and hold pressure in a take pen
    4. Dog can grip and release pressure in pen
    5. Dog can move back (see “back”) in the face of pressure
  4. Stop
    1. Dog stands
    2. Dog lays down
  5. Back - Dog backs up or switches direction by taking pressure off
  6. Out – Dog gets wider in relation to stock
  7. Look Back – dog can leave stock in control and pick up other stock to bring to them
  8. Outrun
    1. Able to stop at any point in the outrun
    2. Able to redirect dog at any point in the outrun
    3. Walking up for the lift
  9. 9. Fetch
    1. Walks up on command to fetch
    2. Holds the line to fetch (aka, straight to me, not all over)
    3. Self-paces on the fetch (aka, not too much pressure or too little)
    4. Stops on the fetch
    5. Flanks on the fetch
    6. Backs on the fetch
    7. Out on the fetch
    8. Can make a clean turn around a post
  10. Drive
    1. Can walk up away from handler balance
    2. Holds the line on the drive
    3. Paces the drive
    4. Stops on the drive
    5. Flanks on the drive
    6. Backs and outs on the drive
    7. Turns around gates

I bolded the ones I feel I have 100% down.  So that’s maybe half, and not in the right order that Bob Vest aligned them into. HOLES! Holes that I TOTALLY KNEW I WAS CHEATING WITH KW’S METHOD but ignored because I was trying to focus on other things. And because it’s not a solid foundation, it’s not going smooth.

At least, that’s the theory. It’s ALWAYS the theory.

AND SO, my new goal is to evaluate where I’m at so I can see measurable (and small) goals to get where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment