Monday, April 27, 2015

Ben Means Video–Get It

So, I said if the video was any good, I’d check back in. Here I am.

There is a WORLD of difference with Ben Means the clinic and Ben Means the video. I feel like a lot of what he said and what we saw was completely off base of what his true message is, and I think most Aussie trainers (or any stockdog trainers) can get something out of it.

I just finished the whole thing and I sat down and wrote a check to Ben Means for my own copy because it belongs in the library. Shut up and take my money! Here’s a link: http://www.theperfectstockdog.com/Videos.htm

Okay, here’s why: The principles of “circle jerk” as he calls them (I can’t even call it line vs stick training because he GETS A STICK after a week and gets rid of the line) are exactly the same as his line method. It’s just the first couple exposures that look really different. Those exposures have a contrast in thoughts:

  • “Circle Jerk” Start = Getting the dog to get around and to head, learn flanks, balance up. Dog tends to start out a little mellow then ramps up the energy as confidence grows – or, starts out really confident and then it’s up to the handler to take that confidence and push the dog off the stock.
  • Ben Means Start = Don’t worry about building confidence: teach two things – 1. Calm down around the stock (no biting or rushing allowed) 2. Be in control of handler (learns flanks, learns stop, etc)

I’m sitting there watching the DVD with this in mind and thinking back to how The Fury was when I started her and this kind of thing was my instinct to how to train but that I shouldn’t. And, I’m not saying I should have . . . I didn’t know anything. I do know now. I know how to tell the signs of a stressed dog or if I’m putting too much pressure on it, etc, and I know better how to read stock and time stuff. I couldn’t do that back then.

And I’m watching this dog who’s, you know, SO different from an Aussie, except HE’S NOT. He cuts in, goes to head, goes too hard, doesn’t have a lot of natural balance, and then by day seven with Ben Means, he’s staying out, balancing up, and light years ahead of where I am with Rippa.

Timing is everything. Reading your stock is everything. But more importantly? Knowing what you want the outcome to be is everything. Ben sets dogs up to earn their freedom, just like you do with puppy training for everything else. You get control, then you give them control. I like it.

I take back that you can’t start some of this mid-training, too. Ben doesn’t go backward because he doesn’t have to. But some of that stuff in the DVD and in his clinic you can use mid-stream. You can work on that control and give it when earned. You don’t have to keep progressing if you keep sessions short and rewarding. I’ve been working cows and sheep for up to an hour and a half depending on what we’re doing. This is why Kathy has short sessions until the dog can handle more. I do like those long sessions for putting mileage on . . . but . . . you might not NEED mileage that builds confidence and self control if you instill it early on.

Do I think that jerking a keen dog and being heavy handed will work? Yeah, it actually might. What will work better is reading your dog. If your pup is turned on and you reward their responsiveness with some control on their part, they’ll keep it up. The key is finding the balance.

I think to be really effective with this method, you need major groundwork where you understand dogs, you understand stock, and you understand your goals. City slickers wanting to take their dogs out for a good time will have a hard time, and yes, shut down their dogs . . . but I am 100% certain that there’s something to be learned here – but paying attention to your dog’s cues is job #1 in that early start. Handler mistakes are more forgivable for dogs using my current “circle jerk” method because mistakes still reward the dog with stock (aka, your timing is off, then the dog gets to zip in and bite or go to head). Mistakes with handling with Ben Means mean shutting your dog down because you’re putting too much expectation on him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment