Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Head bobbles and border collies

I posted yesterday about my getting stuck with Rippa quitting me and it being because I am running the cows off and wanting to try the border collies so I stop trying to “Train” Rippa and just work on my handling.

It worked.

Shannon gave me Cat to work – her finished trialing dog. Right away my expectations were different than I expected: I figured Cat would do a lot of the work herself and automatically just fetch them to me wherever I went, but nope.

1. Cat is loyal. She had a hard time taking commands from me until she decided I was cool (I mean, she likes me, but not like as a working partner). I figured that was a defining feature of BCs – they work for anybody.

2. Aussie people always say that BCs work for themselves, but Cat was really mechanical with me. She didn’t want to do anything I didn’t ask her to do and when she wasn’t sure, she’d find a spot to hold them and wait.

I just didn’t expect that.

She’s a slow working dog with a lot of eye, and while I was expecting to have to do more handling while she held her end of the deal, this was more than perfect for me. I saw right away where normally I’d walk a fenceline ahead of the dog, it wasn’t going to go with these cows, I’d need a parallel drive.

At one point, Catty was fetching them to me and this one cow on the left would pop out a bit, and Catty would look at it, and it would pop back in, but MY pressure would pop it back out. It was slow and super subtle but I GOT it.

So, once we did a few rounds of that, I put Rippa out there and sure enough, got way more out of her than I have in a while. We were doing fancy obstacles and penning like champions and I went from feeling like I had a long way to go to be ready to trial again to being like, “Nah, we got this.”

Why?

Shannon said that I started the lesson with more authority than usual (maybe the confidence of my end of the cattle was that) and that I might just have to be laying down the law more because Rippa responds to it and it will probably make her crsiper.

That and at no point did Rippa feel like she was losing control of the cattle. Her drive was really quiet and thinky as long as I held my end of it with a parallel drive and helped her out with some commands to let her know what I wanted. Shannon said that one way to help her would be to have her “lose them” in my direction if at all possible because then I’d have it covered. But that’s the key, I have to have it covered.

Lots of nice things today – she kept herself calm and worked her stock, she lost one and got it without overly fixating on trying to yahoo it, and she pulled her punches and stayed back, watching stragglers, instead of running to head to hit something.

It was kinda awesome. I care a little too much about all this stuff, I know, but when it goes, it goes and I am proud of the little brown dog today. And me. I’m going to keep handling other dogs to feel those cows and those dogs and it will help Rippy bear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment