Monday, September 9, 2013

W Lazy J Camp: Stuff I Thought About

Being in a totally different environment really made things I “knew” stand out to me while at cattle camp. Things I probably haven’t written about before because I took them for granted.

9615824097_c1f08d5b96

These are little notes I made to myself about my works and observations throughout camp:

  • Keep your mouth to a minimum. When I (and many other people) get nervous, I tend to run my mouth a lot. I kept it shut when I was giving the cattle space, but once it was clear they were heavy and I wasn’t just letting Rippa try stuff out, I think I kept my mouth running way too much. (Also, I’m loud, so other people commented on it.)
  • It seems like if you don’t have a dog with experience to introduce your pup with for help, it’s nice to start the cattle in smaller areas and work them off the fence as Betty had me do – just teaching them to stay back and get between the cattle and the fence to fetch. She starts them in small pens because most dogs lack confidence in a big arena.
  • If a dog goes crazy wahoo, it’s okay to put a line on them and correct them physically until they calm down and stay back. No line training at Kathy’s (except to catch them if they don’t recall) but I saw it used quite effectively here. It’s key that you use the line to show them where you want them, that you read the cattle so you can keep your restrained dog safe, and that you praise the dog when its in the right spot so it learns from that and not just the line restraint.
  • When starting cattle, the first goal is confidence, then you can work drive and/or fetch, THEN you can work on finite training.
  • Rippa starts really hard so I have to remember to do our z-recalls at least at first to calm her down.
  • She also wants to quit when she gets mad, so doing outruns perks her up.
  • Dogs without any exposure to a ranch can take longer to turn on because the stimuli are just so strong.
  • For dogs showing stress behaviors (like checking out, eating grass or poop), make it fun. Don’t push and don’t let anybody’s frustration grow to a point that the dog feels all wrong. If they check out, DO NO punish them by dragging them or yelling to them. Get them, make it a party, and have the dog do something so she can be good.
  • Bring the many to the one. A lot of handlers didn’t seem to know about this particular rule, but it made my life a lot easier than trying to catch one freaked out cow.

9619065228_9e16520000

2 comments:

  1. Good wrap up and I'm really glad you got to see effective line work. More tools...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your husband even enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete